WMS meetings and acitivities: ***The Ladies are a dedicated and cheerful bunch! YOU are welcome anytime to the various activities! We do have FUN!! We always enjoy refreshments after each meeting. **Hear ye, hear ye!!**
NEXT MEETING: Mon. Oct. 5th at 1:30 pm Enjoy the program prepared by Etta Vandenheuvel & think of a ‘Special Summer Memory’for roll call. Enjoy refreshments afterwards r
**The WMS is actively engaged in knitting sweaters & caps for newborns. The sweaters & caps are sent to Jobat hospital in India twice a year. Two years ago, 2 doctors from Jobat India came to Duff’s to explain & show slides about their hospitals, pregnancy programs and not only care for newborns, & new moms but also teaching families how to care for and feed the family. They also explained the difference that our help makes!**
Volunteers are also Knitting….”Knitted Knockers” for women who have undergone masectomies. These items are special, handmade breast prostheses. The pattern is available from Duff’s.
The WMS or Women’s Missionary Society at Duff’s is a very active group in our church and the church community!!
**We are collecting: postage stamps to help people beat Leprosy”.
** We are collecting used eyeglasses or sun glasses for needy people in 3rd world countries.**
**We are looking for people who can knit OR who would like to learn to knit Teddy Bears from the pattern that we have. These Teddy Bears are “Teddies for Tragedies” and are sent to 3rd world countries, prisons and hospitals to give people -young, old, or going through extremely difficult times, something to cuddle and to care about. Call 519-763-1163 for a pattern.
**If you would like to help with any of the above activities, please call the office 519-763-1163 for more information and/or patterns.**
- Since Christmas, 2016, we have received 3 more HUGE BOXES of beautifully knitted Teddy Bears,SO FAR WE HAVE SENT:
- 20 Teddies to Bolivia with an eye specialist and 18 Teddies to Cuba with Barb McKay!
- Plus 50 large teddies with Linda to Haiti & Philippines
- 80 teddies through Pan Mission with Debbie Coutes & the medical team to Nicaragua ! 🙂
- 30 medium-sized teddies with Rick Schwarztenburg (speaker from 2015) to Malaysia!
- 100 Teddies with Alison whose “MOM2Mom Africa” group, along with their African partners work to fund the educational needs of students in Tanzania.
- Duff’s is hosting the- ‘Steel City Rovers’ -a group of 5 (A Celtic Band) in concert on Saturday December 2nd ** to raise funds to help build a High School for students in Tanzania!!**
- 650 Teddies of all sizes went to 3rd World Countries where there are “no such things as” toys!
- 100 Teddies went to Kenya.
If you like to knit, you are welcome to pick up a Teddy Bear pattern or a pneumonia vest & cap pattern for newborns from the table in Nanson Hall! The WMS in this Presbytery got together to pack pneumonia vests and caps in March, to send overseas to India. The doctors & nurses are always so thankful to receive them for the wee ones!
****Surprise!!…….. Duff’s is now accepting – clean– inside & out, smoothed, NO HOLES “MILK Bags” to crochet into SLEEPING Mats for people in 3rd world countries. **** Thank you soooo very much!!*****